"Good post-op care at paediatric day surgery"

About: Harrogate District Hospital / Paediatrics

(as a parent/guardian),

Sons day surgery at Harrogate District Hospital.

We had a long wait as he was last on the list and this bit could have been better organised from his perspective, it was a very long time to wait when you are nervous and v hungry.

But the post-op care from the paediatric Sister on the unit was excellent. She spoke to him like a grown up/teenager, not like a child. She was very understanding and supportive. Although I am a Matron myself in another hospital, sometimes your child needs to hear from the nurses in the service as he thought I was just trying to make him feel better.

This sister is for praise, as she kept returning to check on him, gave information and reassurance and made him feel "normal".

Thank you so much.

Response from Christopher Watt, Director of Performance and Delivery, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for your feedback, which we greatly appreciate.

I am sorry that you and your son had a long wait. We do ask patients to arrive early for their operation in order that we can carry out any checks and also because there is inevitably some uncertainty around how long each procedure will take. It may therefore be that an operation may take place earlier than scheduled, should another be completed more quickly than expected or cancelled for some reason.

I am pleased that you had a good experience of the care given after the procedure and will ensure that your comments are passed onto the team involved.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Chris Watt