"Lack of pain clinic"

About: Dr Gray's Hospital / Acute Pain (Pain Clinic)

I have a nasty little numbr called fibromyalgia which causes constant debilitating pain. It makes life very hard. I was diagnosed by the rheumatologist in Aberdeen but little after care for this diagnosis has been offered anywhere. I used to attend Pain Clinic at Dr Gray's on a regular basis prior to diagnosis but since this there has been no pain clinic to help me and I feel that I have just been left to suffer as my GP seems clueless as to treatment and help and/or any understanding of fibromyalgia. I can promise you it is most certainly not "all in my head" or made up and is a recognised diagnosis. Please please refund pain clinic asap. Also what has happened to all of us who were on a regular list for pain clinic? Are we floating in the computer system somewhere?

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Feeling Old

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your care. It is disappointing to hear that you got little support after your diagnosis. With regard to the Chronic Pain Clinic in Elgin, we will provide you with information about the reasons for its closure and what arrangements were put in place for the patients who had attended. In the meantime you might want to call me to talk over your experiences or get some advcie on where you might go for help with your condition. You can email me at loldroyd@nhs.net or call me on 01224 224923