"Short stay via A&E"

About: Derriford Hospital

After choking on food on Christmas Eve I was admitted via A&E for an endoscopy on Christmas Day. Staff were superb, kind and considerate throughout but the whole stay was exhausting partly due to the repetitive questions in the admissions proforma as I was passed from A&E to the Ward and then to Theatre. I was also promised hydration via drip and mild sedation for the endoscopy, but neither materialised.

Response from Mary Anderson, Senior Quality Facilitator, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Good afternoon and thank you for your posting. I was sorry to read that you were admitted on Christmas Eve. Whilst I am pleased to note you were treated kindly and with consideration I was concerned that hydration promised was not forthcoming and I will feed this back to the teams. Whilst I understand the need to check and re-check information with patients, I can imagine this must have been exhausting for you.

Thank you for bringing these points to our attention. If you would like to discuss your comments further or you are happy to supply me with further details, I can be contacted on 01752 439751 or via the PALS team on 01752 439884.

Mary