"Giving birth"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital / Maternity

I found the experience of giving birth to my second child by cesarean (semi-elective following failure to progress) a very positive experience and I cannot praise the surgeon and her team who brought my daughter into the world highly enough. There are two comments though, which I would like to make about how I think my care could have been better:

Firstly, members of the nursing staff caring for me tried to make me get out of bed for the first time the morning following my cesarean as soon as I woke up, and before I had had an opportunity to wash and freshen up or eat breakfast or have a cup of tea. I found this a particularly undignifying and physically painful episode and, quite naturally I think, I got very upset.

Secondly, I felt that the nursing staff assumed too quickly that because my daughter was my second child I wouldn't have any issues/problems bonding with her, but actually I felt quite anxious about bonding and I would have appreciated it if they had been a little more attentive and encouraging with us both in this regard.

Thank you very much for taking time to provide us with feedback on how we could have improved your experience, we appreciate constructive feedback which helps us to improve. I will pass your comments onto our maternity matron at QEQM. If you would like to talk through your experience, please email me on Julie.pearce1@nhs.net and I will ensure that you are able to talk with a senior midwife.

I do hope you and your baby are doing well now you are at home.