"Larch ward"

About: Cumberland Infirmary

I'm in this ward right now, had been sent to the a&e to see a ward doctor, waiting there for 3 hrs, nurse said she would get me some painkillers that didn't happen, then took up to the ward of disgrace 9 hrs later eventually said I need pain relief now, well I have now waited 3 hrs and still I haven't received it, see plenty of staff in the hall laughing, I have just got dressed packed my bag and stated I'm going home even though I have pneumonia in the lungs, wasn't until a nurse said why I said at least I could get pain killers at home, poor women across from me pressed her buzzer for help stated that she was soaked with urine and her bed was wet, she has now been left for 40 mins I had to press my buzzer to get someone to help her poor women has copd and freezing cold. Beware this hospital is a disgrace better of taking your chances at a decent hospital even if it means travelling will never come back here.

Response from Cumberland Infirmary

Thank you for letting us know about your concerns and we are sorry you were not happy with the care you received. Patients are usually asked on admission about pain relief either by the nurse or the doctor. We suspect you were meant for our admissions unit but because of bed pressures would have been re-directed to A/E. If a patient comes via ambulance there would be a handover from ambulance personnel to A/E staff and this includes pain levels. Analgesia is often prescribed and administered in the ambulance. Unfortunately at present there has been a high level demand for beds and patients are coming to A/E to await a bed. To ensure the patients are assessed the doctor from the assessment unit comes to A/E to assess the patients and initiate any necessary treatment to avoid any delays. In the assessment area we have nurses assigned to each room to look after the patients. On the other wards we have intentional rounding which is where a nurse goes around all patients every hour to ensure they are comfortable and have a drink and toilet needs attended to. We hope this has helped to clarify things for you.