"Misdiagnosed and infection missed"

About: Warrington Hospital

I visited A &E on the 9th December with severe abdominal pain. The doctor that attended to me after asking me to give a urine sample did not diagnose that I had a bad urine infection that needed antibiotics. Instead he said I had fecal impaction and gave me something for my bowels, despite me telling him that my bowels were functioning normally. The urine infection was only picked up when I went to see the heart specialist three weeks later. I had been in severe pain throughout the Christmas holidays. I feel that when the doctor in A &E got the results of the urine sample back he either missed the infection or he just didn't bother to check the results properly. A simple course of antibiotics would have ceased the pain and cleared the infection causing less stress to myself and my family.

Response from Warrington Hospital

Thanks you for taking the time to leave your feedback with us. We've passed it on to the team to take a look at in more detail. If you wanted to contact us to provide some more information then please contact us via pals@whh.nhs.uk so that we can look into this for you.