"Excellent care up to a point"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

My 66 year old husband was transferred from the William Harvey hospital after suffering a stroke at the home of friends we were visiting in December. The care he received on the ward was excellent & he was operated on the following day. He was then put into the High Dependency Unit where he received the best care he could have wished for. The nurses went out of their way to make both of us feel as much at ease as possible. A few days later he was told that he could go home & so I travelled from our home in South London to collect him, only to be told when I arrived that he could not go home as the doctor on the ward wanted him back there to speak to him. He waited another 24 hours without being seen by a doctor to then be told that he could go home. I travelled back down to Canterbury again & we walked out without anyone speaking to us at all. I feel that we were badly let down in the last 24 hours & would also question the wisdom of giving instructions & information to a man who has undergone a series of strokes & a major operation. Surely it would have been better to wait for me to be there before imparting this information as struggled to recall what was said to him.

Thank you so much for taking time to provide us with feedback, and I am glad to see that you were happy with the majority of care we provided. We find feedback very helpful for identifying ways in which we can improve any aspect of our service.

May I apologise for the last 24 hours which must have been frustrating and confusing - communication with the patient and their family is essential to effective discharge planning, and it sounds as if we let you down.

I will ensure that staff, including medical staff, are aware of your feedback. I do hope your father continues to make a good recovery.