"Hospital catering - Very Good"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital

I'd like to commend Sunderland Royal Hospital on the food that I received while my baby son was an in-patient on the children's ward. I was breastfeeding him at the time and so I was provided with food during our stay over a weekend. I know hospital food in general has a bad reputation and so I thought it was important to make this positive comment. The food was nutritious, tasty, healthy and plentiful. I had choice and the steamed puddings with custard in particular were super! I was happy to complete a feedback form at the time but someone has just mentioned making a comment on this site, I thought it was worthwhile to do even though my stay was some time ago. Well done Sunderland, keep up the good work.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the food served to you whilst your baby son was in hospital. Our Catering Team, with support from the Trust's Nutrition Steering Group, has been working extremely hard over the last year or so to improve the quality of the food served and they will be pleased to hear that their efforts have been appreciated. We hope your son is now fully recovered and thank you once again for taking the time to post feedback on the NHS Choices website.