"My bowel cancer journey"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / General surgery

I actually feel very paranoid and seek reassurance that I'm not really an hypochondriac!

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer in August 2009 and had my operation in the November resulting in a stoma bag (which I had problems with and hated)

Removal of the stoma bag was completed in August 2010 and I suppose I thought everything would return to normal.

Originally I was told I would have a CT scan every 6 months for 5 years and a colonoscopy annually for 5 years.

Each CT scan I had I was deemed clear and when I had my last colonoscopy (January 2013) I was informed that I didn't need to return for 5 years.

I had my last CT scan in June 2012 and not given another appointment.

I still have problems and if I visit the doctor, all I get is a shrug and you'll have to learn to live with it. I tried to ring the cancer nurses but they are always busy.

In November I even wrote to my consultant but never received a reply. All I need is reassurance that all the symptoms and experiences I have are normal, however embarrassing.

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

Thank you for your feedback and we are sorry to hear that you haven’t had a response from one of our consultants to your letter. If you would like to call 01603 287828 (between 9 – 5, Monday – Friday) and speak to one of our Colorectal Specialist Nurses (CSN) or send an email to jane.mcculloch@nnuh.nhs.uk, they will see what they can do to reassure you. Alternatively you can contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service on either 01603 289036/289045 or email pals@nnuh.nhs.uk