"Weekend Emegency"

About: East Surrey Hospital

Arrived at A&E 11am on Saturday morning 4th Jan with chest pain and irregular heart beat and was seen by the Triage nurse in minutes and felt immediately relaxed. I was quicky seen by the A&E doctor and then by a medical doctor, both caringly and professionally carried out a number of tests before transferring me, fully informed, to the AMU. There I underwent more tests, and was visited by the AMU Consultant. Although diagnosis was complicated by a known underlying heart problem, she reassured me immensely. I was then admitted to the Holmwood Cardiac ward where I was looked after for the next 3 days by a magnificent team. Problems solved, I was discharged with fully documented clinical information, new medicines and a follow up appointment made. This being my first hospital admission ever in 70+ years, it seems to me that ESH has got it right. Their care, A&E process and medical skills are second to none. For me it was a very positive experience. To all the staff involved I offer my grateful thanks.

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Peter

I am so glad that you are well and that we were able to help. Its great to hear when we do "get it right" and I am grateful to you for spending the time to let us know.

The fact that our AMU Consultant was able to reassure you is so important as an acute admission for a cardiac complaint can be very frightening and being able to relax your patient is a skill that every doctor needs.

If you would like to make any further suggestions about our service please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best wishes