"Parking"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital

I attended this hospital to visit my elderly mother who had been admitted after a fall. I had driven 2.5hours on Christmas Eve arrived at the hospital at 18.30 . The weather was atrocious . I went to pay at the carpark machine which was extremely badly lit.. After queuing in the rain to buy a ticket the machine indicated ' not in use'. I entered the hospital and queried this (unfortunately I don't know the name of the person) and was told that didn't have to pay over the Christmas period . I have since received the parking charge charge notice from parking eye and have paid £40. I was there for 1 hour 16 minutes in total. To add insult to this they have charged me 70p to pay by debit card which is unheard of and is plainly a further way of extracting additional funds . It beggars belief why the NHS trust have got involved with this type of organisation!

Response from North Tyneside General Hospital

Dear Philip, I was sorry to hear your Mum had had a fall over the Christmas period - I do hope that she has recovered welll. I am also really sorry to hear about your experience of the parking system at North Tyneside Hospital. I understand that you tried to purchase a ticket at the time and were unable to due to the machine being out of service. I am sorry that you were told that you did not have to pay over the Christmas period and that has led to receiving a parking notice. I would like to see if we can help ensure you get a refund on the money you have paid to date. Please email me at Joanne.mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk Best Wishes Jo

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Philip

I am sorry to hear that your mother had a fall over the Christmas period - I do hope she is recovering well.

I am also sorry to hear about your experience of the parking system at North Tyneside Hospital. I understand that you tried to purchase a ticket at the time and were unable to due to the machine being out of service. I am sorry that you were told that you did not have to pay over the Christmas period and that has led to receiving a parking notice.

I would like to see if we can help ensure you receive a refund for the money paid to date. Please email me at Joanne.mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk

.Best Wishes

Jo

Dear Philip,

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,