"parking eye"

About: North Tyneside General Hospital

my wife and I were visiting my daughter at shiremoor when my wife complained about a pain and swelling in her legs. after a visit to the chemist they said it could be a d.v.t and to go to the hospital immediately, this we done . as we are from Edinburgh we are not familiar with this hospital, on arrival we entered the car park, I stopped the car at what used to be a barrier and a blocked off ticket machine, I made a comment to my wife it must be free as I could not see any signage for payment and as I was only concerned about getting my wife to the appropriate area as quickly as possible off we went. getting off the subject of the parking for a moment, the time from entering the hospital to initial assessment to bloods taken and relative treatment including an appointment made for the royal infirmary in Edinburgh the next day was excellent.,the disappointing factor is that a few days later I received a fine from parking eye. as I have already said an appointment for e.r.i was made and the system they have is foolproof, you approach the barrier ,press the button, take the ticket, before you go back to the car you validate the ticket by paying the amount asked for at the ticket machine, simple ,foolproof .I have an appeal in the post and have been told they will look into it.

Response from Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Sir,

Firstly, thank you so much for your very kind comments on the care and treatment that your wife received from the team at North Tyneside Hospital. I do hope she is feeling much better now?

I am very sorry that you did not have a good experience of the parking system at the hospital. I understand that the blocked off machine and lack of barrier led you to believe that there was no charge for parking.

If you would like me to see if we can help you with this, please email me at Joanne.mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk

Best Wishes

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Sir,

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,