"Another Wasted Journey"

About: Westmorland General Hospital

I attended WGH day surgery unit on Tuesday this week. My appointment was for 4pm and when I arrived at 3:40pm the receptionist took my appointment letter and then showed me to the day room, asking me to wait to be seen. After waiting an hour and a half, I asked a member of staff if I had been forgotten and she assured me that I would be seen imminently. I began reading the comments other patients had written in the book in the day room and it was evident that waiting up to 5 hours was quite common. At 6:45pm, another member of staff came in to ask what I was doing there, as the surgeon had gone home hours earlier! This wasted trip involved me and my wife both having to take time off work, driving 50 miles and paying for the privilege of parking for over three hours at WGH. 1) Perhaps there should be a system put in place to ensure patients are not forgotten about. 2) A more visible waiting area would make it clear to members of staff that there are patients still waiting to be seen.

Response from Westmorland General Hospital

We are extremely sorry that you had such a difficult experience and would like to investigate the circumstances to ensure we can apologise fully to you personally and so we can ensure that this does not happen to any other patients. We would ask you to please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01539 795497