"Radiotherapy at Wharfedale hospital"

About: Wharfedale Hospital / Gynaecology

Three years ago I was diagnosed with cancer on the outer wall of the vagina. This was the result of pre-cancerous cells found when I had a hysterectomy and not all were removed. My treatment with the many individual consultants I have seen has been caring, thorough and excellent. My criticism is that each doctor is an expert in his/her field, but there is no continuity - every time I see a different Doctor I am asked who I last saw and what they said.

I had 7 weeks of radiotherapy, which destroyed the cancer but unfortunately affected my bladder, bowel and now my kidneys and I await an operation.

I have a friend in Australia with terminal cancer. Every time she sees a consultant she is given a report on what has been said. If she has an x-ray, she gets the result immediately. I wish this happened in our hospitals!

Response from Patient and Public Involvement Lead, Leeds PCT

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experiences at Wharfedale Hospital. It is good to hear that the Leeds Primary Care Trust (PCT) is commissioning a good standard of care.

I shall pass your comments regarding continuity of care to the hospital.