"Castle Ward"

About: Warwick Hospital

My 63 year old mother was admitted in May 2013 and died of sepsis caused by a Urinary Tract Infection that she contracted whilst in the hospital. Sadly I felt extremely let down by her care during her stay and have made a formal complaint. I do not feel that the Consultant treated my mother or my family with compassion and I consider her death was avoidable given that I raised several alarms about her deterioration over the bank holiday weekend that were ignored until it was too late. I was never even told that she had contracted Sepsis until I opened her death certificate. The Consultant involved attempted to pressurise me into withdrawing food and fluids from her before she had even been diagnosed and I was appalled that such a practice is acceptable in our hospitals. I would urge anyone with relatives that are patients here to keep a close on them and record and document any concerns as soon as they arise. I witnessed many other patients ringing their bells to seek assistance with going to the toilet only to be ignored or left for over an hour. It is a very sad and regrettable state of affairs and I hope that improvements will be made.

Response from Warwick Hospital

Due to patient confidentiality we are unable to go into detail about the concerns you have raised. However, based on the information you have supplied it is our understanding that a meeting has been arranged to discuss these issues with you further, we hope that from this we will be able to resolve the concerns you have.