"Caring and informative podiatrist at Widnes Health Care Resource Centre"

About: Halton and St Helens PCT

I was a patient in Podiatry at the Widnes Health Care Resource Centre. I was seen promptly. The podiatrist was caring and informative. I was disappointed to find that I could not make a follow-up appointment whilst I was there. I was told to telephone when I next wanted an appointment but not to ring in less than 6 weeks. I think it would be more satisfactory to make your next appointment at the time of your visit. It would also help the service to plan its workforce, since holidays would be marked in the appointment book and so not used.

Response from Halton & St Helens PCT

Dear Mask981

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Patient Opinion.

We were pleased to read that you were seen promptly for your appointment and that the Podiatrist was caring and informative.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding booking follow-up appointments which we have discussed with the Head of Halton Podiatry. The Head of Podiatry has provided us with the following information:

The Podiatry Booking System is independent of the Widnes Healthcare Resource Centre. All patients are graded as to their clinical and/or medical need and what the time-frame is between appointments.

Patients with high clinical and medical needs are automatically re-booked for future appointments. Those with lower needs book their own appointments by contacting the central booking office six weeks after their last appointment (assuming there are no problems). This allows a few weeks to schedule and book what the Podiatry Team term a “routine” treatment that are currently about 14 weeks apart for non-urgent cases.

With such a small clinical team, we always ensure the essential and emergency clinics are covered before we grant annual leave.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Best wishes