"staff unable to respond to family phone enquiries"

I rang enquiring about my mother's health, since I live on the other side of the country, and was asked by staff not ring the ward, but make enquiries through other people who had called enquiring about her health. They said she has already had some phone calls that day. This was insensitive since I am next of kin, and could not know who else has rung the hospital that day. This seemed due to staff not having time to answer such enquiries. In house, low cost, Mobile phones might help, if on "receive only" seem to be an answer, so patients can talk and get support from relatives, with less staff time being used. some hospitals have very expensive and complex patient phone systems, that appear to have been commissioned ( by gullible management) from private company providers. Whitby is such a friendly warm hospital, when visiting. It would be nice if a 'low cost, patient friendly phone system could be explored.

Response from Whitby Hospital

Thank you for your posting. We do take comments made very seriously and we would like the opportunity to investigate the particular concerns you have raised. Please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01904 726262 or email pals.york@york.nhs.uk and they will be pleased to help.