"Appalling consultation with Opthalmology..."

About: Royal Lancaster Infirmary

I was referred by my GP to the hospitals Opthalmology Dept after 2 courses of antibiotic medication had failed to make any difference to my eye condition. After my initial consultation, which I attended alone, I felt that it hadn't gone well. I came away dissatisfied with his attitude towards me he was brusque to the point of being rude and I couldn't totally understand what I was being told. So I had the MRI scan he wanted and a follow up appointment came. This time I took my Mum with me as a "witness". "So you've had the MRI" "Yes" I replied. "Well its not an eye problem its Lymphoma I'm referring you to Oncology" he turned away from us and continued his paperwork. "So, do we go now?" I asked. "Yes" he replied and motioned dismissively towards the door. Mum asked how long the referral would take and he barked "I'll mark it as urgent" It wasn't until we were outside that I asked Mum if she knew what Lymphoma was! His whole demeanour and "bedside manner" stank! Everyone knows that 1 MRI scan isn't a diagnosis yet he told me I had cancer with no compassion or sensitivity. .

Response from Royal Lancaster Infirmary

We’re sorry your visit to Royal Lancaster Infirmary was not satisfactory and we would like to investigate this issue, if only to ensure that no-one else has the same experience. Please would you contact our customer care department by email to CommentsandComplaints@mbht.nhs.uk or telephone our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01539 795497 so we can undertake that investigation.