"Excellent clinical care, but admin could be..."

About: Wexham Park Hospital

It is all too easy to dish out criticism and complaints but I thought that the clinical treatment I received was very thorough, considerate and delivered in a timely manner. When I arrived with my wife around 10:30, we were confronted by the receptionist. We both found her rather rude, totally ignoring my wife who was standing next to me, she was interrupted several times whilst I was being checked in. We got the impression that she just didn't want to be there. I think that the NHS as a whole should adhere to their guidelines for treatment and start directing patients to the most appropriate centre for their symptoms. While we wrre waiting there were people coming in who were quite clearly not an emergency - a sprained ankle, a minor dog bite - things that could be dealt with an a MIU or Walk In Centre - both of which are local. It was nice that WPH has a separate A&E for children. After 50 minutes I was called for an "initial assessment" with the department sister. I thought this was conducted in a caring, empathic and thorough manner - I felt listened to.  Once called through for treatment,  all of the nursing staff followed the Sister's lead in providing effective and prompt care. Even though I could see that they were busy, the nurses, doctors and radiographers were polite and took the time to explain what they were doing and why.  I would like to thank all of the staff for their care, dedication and devotion to me - the patient.

Response from Wexham Park Hospital

We are pleased to hear how thorough and timely you and your wife found your recent attendance to the A&E Department at our hospital. We are sorry to hear that the receptionist was rude and ignored your wife, and that she was also interrupted several times. We will raise this with the manager for the area. After that it appears from your account that the staff were caring, empathetic and explained what was happening. We will pass on your thanks and would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.