"the matron"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

I went to canterbury minor injuries unit last year when I was having a severe allergic reaction to my epileptic medication, severe burning rashes on my face etc and my whole body felt it was on fire in the middle of winter! I was treated like an idiot my the matron, who was in charge that evening, he was incredibly rude to me, and said there was nothing wrong with me, gave me some periton eventually after he shouted at me to counteract the effects, which in turn affected the effectiveness of my medication and found myself on 24 hour watch by housemates and then family when I was too ill to rely on them. After arranging an emergency meeting with my neurologist in London I was taken off of my medication straight away and told to go to a hospital for a few tests, which apparently should've been done when I had visited the hospital and then I should have been put on a drip for a few hours. I left the hospital embarrassed and incredibly upset after that incident, and after being shouted down, and made to look like a small minded, pathetic idiot in the waiting room (after I told my housemates exactly what he had said in the consulting room which he suddenly decided was his cue to come and shout at me) in front of the lovely ladies who were waiting to be seen who came to my defence after seeing the incident, I can honestly say that, that male nurse in charge that evening seriously needs to re-think the way he talks to patients and how he talks to people, I may only be a young student, but I was in serious need of help and was made to feel like I was wasting his important time, that I was attention seeking and just over reacting. I am sure there are many lovely hard working staff in this hospital, and have no doubt that they put up with some argumentative patients, but that night he was obviously so stressed he decided to take it out on someone who wasn't going to argue with him, especially as I was in no fit state to argue.

Thank you for finding time to feedback to us and I am sorry to hear about your experience. the behaviour described falls short of how we expect our staff to communicate and care for patients.

I would like to be able to feedback your experience to our staff. Please do email me and am happy to follow through your concerns. We take feedback very seriously and use this to improve our services.

My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net