"Hernia operation"

About: Charing Cross Hospital

The small circle drawn on the area to be operated, and the statement that the scar would be 1 1/2 - 2 inches didn't prepare me for a 5 inch scar. I wasn’t concerned about the cosmetic effect, but did this mean that the actual repair was more than had been anticipated? Why was a non-functioning drip connected to me in the recovery ward? How did the nurse get the information that the doctor had confirmed my successful recovery for discharge – no doctor had even seen me? My discharge sheet was inaccurate in the amount of drugs given me. I received no information on what to do as part of my recovery, despite being assured I would get something - My wife found something on the Royal Free’s web site. I would, seriously, appreciate looking at the hospital’s patient discharge procedure.

Response from Charing Cross Hospital

We are very sorry to read of your unsatisfactory experience. It would be helpful to be able to investigate and respond to the significant concerns and questions you have raised. Please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service by email pals@imperial.nhs.uk or telephone 020 3312 7777 and ask to speak to Christine Cornell, PALS Manager. We look forward to hearing from you.