"Cataract surgery"

About: York Hospital

Very straightforward and pain-free process - no-one should have the slightest concern about the procedure - and the results are fantastic! For more than 18 months I had put up with a cataract in one eye that left me unable to see a Transit van 20 metres away. But, having a bit of a phobia about hospitals, I had put off doing anything about it. Big mistake! I should have had it sorted months ago. The procedure itself couldn't be more simple, a few eye drops every 15 minutes in the hour before the op; then drops to suppress the blink reflex and an anaesthetic drop in the eye to be operated on. In comes the surgeon for a chat (during which he agreed to change the strength of the lens to be put in - I wanted to be able to see at distance and only use glasses for reading) and then into the operating theatre. You sit in a reclining chair, a cover is put over your face with a hole made over the eye, and a little clamp keeps the eyelid open. Then all you feel is a gentle pressure for a couple of seconds at the side of your eye; there's a little bit of noise from the surgical equipment; in goes the new lens and, hey presto, you can see! It really is that simple and trouble free - the op itself cannot possibly last longer than about 10 minutes and the results are immediate. After a cup of tea and a biscuit, I walked to the train station to get home armed with two lots of drops that you have to put in four times a day for a month after the op. I've not yet been for my follow-up but can't imagine there'll be any issues.

Response from York Hospital

Thank you very much for your posting. Your comments have been passed to the teams concerned. We are pleased that your visit to us was very positive; our aim is to provide a high standard of service which reflects the needs of patients.