"Miscarriage after ivf"

About: Manor Hospital / Gynaecology Manor Hospital / Maternity

I was treated fabulously by a RN in A&E after I started bleeding. She was very understanding of our situation and almost protected us, the results came back & my hormone level had tripled....fantastic news showing a healthy pregnancy and high possibility of twins.

Unfortunately four days later I had intense bleed & pain and was booked in for a scan ......two days later, this was awful and the days waiting only added to the strain.

When we arrived we were told to do a urine sample, which was tested for pregnancy, for which we were told in a public waiting room of clearly pregnant woman, the test was negative. They would scan me to ensure. The scan proved the miscarriage and we were devastated.

After getting ourselves together we attempted to leave the unit. To our disbelief a member of staff chased after us....not to offer support or advise on where we should go for help, but to ask me to return to the room I just had my scan in to have a test for MRSA!

I couldn't take any more and I ran out of the unit & was left utterly at a loss as to where I should go or what I should do.

Response from Ruth Bender Atik, National Director, The Miscarriage Association

Dear Kjay5

I'm so sorry to read about your miscarriage. Losing a baby at any time tends to be a very unhappy experience, but when it happens after IVF - and after your first positive scan result - it must have been even more distressing. I'm sorry too to read that you didn't get the care and support you needed when you went back for the second time.

It may feel too soon or not even relevant, but if the Miscarriage Association can be of any help in terms of support or information, do get in touch and/or visit our website (www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk).

Wishing you gentler times ahead.

Response from Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust

We are very sorry that you did not receive the level of service or support you feel you required following a recent visit to our hospital.

If you would like to contact Karen Palmer, Head of Nursing and Midwifery via our Patient Relations team, she would be more than happy to have a further conversation with you and carry out an investigation.

You can contact our Patient Relations team on 01922 656463 or email patientrelations@walsallhealthcare.nhs.uk.