"Told to poke it!"

About: East Surrey Hospital

Following the birth of my son at ESH he was taken into the Special Care Baby Unit for 4 days and it was a very worrying and scary time. Everyone on SCBU, Burstow, Delivery and Transitional Care was fantastic and provided amazing care to our baby and support to my wife and I. One expection was the rude and uncaring nurse who late at night, aware that we were distressed and separated from our baby, told me to "poke it and welcome to fatherhood" when we asked if they could provide even a blanket for me to lie on the floor. I fear that is wil be my enduring memory of East Surrey Hospital.

Response from Maxine May, Communications Officer, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Anonymous

Whilst I am pleased to read about the 'amazing care' provided by everyone on SCBU, Burstow, Delivery and Transitional Care, I am very sorry to also read about your experience with one member of staff.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me on (01737) 768511 x 2633, or if you prefer, email me Maxine.May@sash.nhs.uk