"Mother in law admission last September for hip..."

About: Broomfield Hospital

My mother in law (who suffers of Alzheimer's) was admitted to the Hospital following a fall and a L hip fracture. The medical and surgery team did their duty but it was the way she was looked after on the ward after the surgery that left us extremely concerned. We visited her twice while she was there for a week and found her general personal conditions and igene, terrible. The smell of urine and worse, emanating from her body was permeating her all surrounding and what we dug out from under her nails would nearly made me throw up. We couldn't wait for her to be transferred back to the nursing home where she came from. And, no, her nails were not in that condition when she was admitted. I had explained that due to her personal circumstances (the closest relative is a stroke survivor and requiring 24/7 assistance and lives 85 miles away) and consequently we were unable to provide a full care cover during her admission. I regret she was not living closer as I believe she could have hardly have received any worse attention from the nursing staff anywhere else in the country.

Response from Broomfield Hospital

May I firstly apologise. The Lead Nurse for Orthopaedics and I would like further details from you regarding the care your mother in law received whilst with us, can you please email me jonathan.wright@meht.nhs.uk so we can look into what happened. We want feedback on our services.