"fantastic service awful food"

About: Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital

My wife phoned 111 on Saturday morning. The chap who answered was polite and said a doctor would phone me back. She was just great and gently and firmly talked me through the standard questions. I was asked to go to a local clinic in Margate for an appointment with a doctor an hour latter. He examined me and strongly hinted that I had appendix problem. He phoned a SHO on call in the hospital and I was sent into the A and E. The lady in charge welcomed me and I was assigned to a bed. A man looked after me and again I really felt in good hands. I waited for quite a while but wasent bothered. When the SHO came I was again examined. She was lovely and again indicated that it might be appendix trouble. The gentleman at x-ray was very efficient. In 2 hours I was in the Cheerful Sparrow ward which I felt was unbelievable. The surgeon came. More tests and similar questions. I really felt respected and amid the conversation I smiled despite the pain. Latter the surgeon came to explain the operation to me and the possible consequences. The nurse had informed the chaplain who also came to visit. In less than 3 hours from being on the Ward I was being prepared by someone who reminded me of my mother. She scolded me for having my vest on inside the hospital gown and I spend a few strange moments getting the drip feed threaded though the gown and vest to get the vest off. She might have scolded me but I knew I was in very safe hands. Outside the operation theatre. I was checked by two 'nurses who explained about the anaesthetic. The next I knew was that I awoke in the recovery room to two nurses watching over me. I was delighted that I recognised one of them. I was back on the ward in 2 hours feeling great and and hungry. I was offered food choices and went for fish and chips. Dickens would describe the meal as the 'best of meals and the worst of meals, I would have eaten anything and the chips were like rubber and the fish was the worst I have ever had. The night staff came on and a man woke up during the night to do his checks. His gentle way was soothing...Morning dawned and the nurses were back on duty. The porridge was ok...the bread was awful and the tea was really poor. The choices for lunch were about 24 and I went for the chicken. During the morning I had another cup of hot chocolate and was offered cake or crisps. The surgeon came with a posse. She briefly spoke to me and I had little chance to say thanks. To her and SHO and the Team....I would like to thank you for your gift that for me combine the human and divine into great healers. Dinner was awful. The nurse saw me off two hours latter. Thanks all.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience. I am so glad that on the whole you were happy with your experience. We have had mixed feedback on food quality and will be undertaking further work with our catering service provider. The fish and chips do seem to variable in quality. Please accept my apologies.

I do hope you are recovering well from your operation.