"Late and dismissive"

About: Hinckley and District Hospital

Without going into my particular medical situation, I found that my referral to see a consultant (by another consultant) was in fact with an underling. The consultation was 45 minutes late at 10.15 for a 9.30 appointment. It's ridiculous to be so far behind so early in the day, and not a word of apology was offered. I may not be a doctor but my time is also valuable. More importantly, the consultant's underling either did not have my medical notes, or had not bothered to read them. That left me to explain a complex and lengthy medical history, which I felt unable to do adequately, being not a doctor myself, and expecting this doctor to have access to my notes and to know why I was there. Thereafter I found the examination to be cursory and dismissive. I was not properly listened to or understood. The reasons for my referral seemed to be ignored. As a result I am back to square one, in that I must go back to my GP and gain a new referral for investigation of worrying symptoms. Worse than a waste of time, as I could have spent the 2 months on a waiting list to see someone who could be bothered to examine properly.

Response from Mary Heritage, Assistant Director of Quality , Quality, Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust

Response from Hinckley and District Hospital

I am so sorry to hear about your difficulty in accessing a timely service, and of your poor experience when you attended. It is now a priority that we understand exactly what happened and are able to learn from you. We need to make any improvements we can to ensure that all of our patients receive a high quality service and that we always communicate courteously and effectively. I would very much value the opportunity to hear from you directly. I hope you feel able to call the patient experience team on 01773 525119 so that we can take the full details of your case and undertake a full investigation. We take your feedback very seriously. Once again I am sorry that your experience of using our services was not positive. Mary Hertitage, Assistant Director/Professional Lead for Allied Health Professionsal