"An emergency patient"

About: Yeovil District Hospital

I was taken into the gynaecological unit of Yeovil District Hospital on a Friday as an emergency case (ovarian cancer). I cannot speak too highly of the treatment I received, during my 11 day stay, from every person on the ward - cleaners, kitchen workers and all the medical staff. Their kindness, efficiency, exemplary care and good humour were without parallel, as was that of the other hospital staff I encountered. Every necessary intervention was explained and I felt understood, empathised with and safe. At a time when the NHS is receiving so much criticism, I would like to put on record my admiration for, and satisfaction with, it's services. My only criticism is that nothing appears able to take place at a weekend which contributed to a longer stay in hospital than might otherwise have been the case.

Response from Yeovil District Hospital

Many thanks for your positive feedback. Your comments have been passed onto the staff involved. We are looking into ways of improving our weekend working and fully appreciate how important this is.