"Not for youngsters with special needs"

About: Springfield University Hospital

My son was an inpatient as he has a history of mental health .He also has additional needs including Autism .The staff over loaded my son with rules which he could not comprehend , many times I tried to have conversation with the staff regarding this and they took no notice they never took the time to explain anything so he could understand .For instance table rules Eat at a normal pace it is not a race most people with Autism eat as if they have not eaten for a month as it's a sensory thing . Saying maybe if he was not allowed in the sitting room due to one of his disabilities as it's something they do not allow - a person's disabilities !! Maybe a great unit for young people who do not have additional needs but certainly not accommodating for Autism .

Response from Sue Denby, Head of Quality Governance, Quality Governance, South West London and St Georges We have made a change

Response from Springfield University Hospital

Thank you very much for your feedback and I am sorry for the lengthy delay in responding to you. We now have a new Patient Experience Team developing feedback mechanisms and we will be responding to all reviews in a timely manner as we want to act positively to make improvements to our services. Thankyou for taking the time to tell us about the distressing time you and your son experienced whilst he was an inpatient. I am very sorry to hear this. As a result of your feedback the staff on this ward have received training on working with Autism and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. We will work hard to improve the situation.