"Cleaning in ward"

About: Sunderland Royal Hospital / Urology

I was in ward D46 in mid-December for an operation, I was discharged a day later.

All the time I was on the ward not once was there any sign of cleaning in the ward. Also in the night, the cleaner had a pair of disposable gloves on I admit, she took waste out of the yellow bin by hand put this in with waste from paper towel bin, opened the door which was resting on the bin on the right hand side of the ward, took out the bin bag, she then took new paper towels out of their rapper and placed in paper towel dispenser, with the same gloves as she had removed soiled waste from the bins.

This was noted by 2 of us who were watching her every move. At no time did she remove these soiled gloves when handling clean materials.

Response from Sunderland Royal Hospital

Thank you for your comments regarding cleanliness on Ward D46. We will ensure these are picked up with our domestic services contractor. Cleanliness throughout the Trust is one of our key priorities and we are sorry that your stay on the ward was let down by unacceptable practices and for that we apologise.