"I hope that the Carers Group will always be there for the people who need help in their Carer recovery"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Carer services

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

I have now been attending the Carer Support Group which takes place once monthly for three years and where has the time gone!

I first attended the group six months after my husband had been diagnosed with Bipolar, spent two months on an acute ward and then was able to come home.

At this time I was very low, learning about Bipolar and having to cope with the difficulties in our marriage which had never happened before.

There were tears and happy times at the Carers Group and for once in my life I didn’t feel isolated, it felt so reassuring to know that I wasn’t the only one facing mental health difficulties from my husband.

The support felt so good and helped me so much and gave me a coping strategy.

Andrea Emmens who I now say she is my “fairy godmother” really gave me hope and so much inspiration to be able to have a life; she made me move forward to be myself again.

This group means so much to me and now I feel if I can help some new members then I will as a have become a Carers Recover Champion which I am so very proud of.

I hope that the Carers Group will always be there for the people who need help in their Carer recovery.

Response from Andrea Emmens, Family Interventions Co-ordinator, Adult Mental Health Bassetlaw, Nottingamshire healthcare NHS trust

Thank you so very much for your wonderful feedback. It is always lovely to receive comments about what has helped from our services, so we can provide more of it and also anything that could be done differently. I really appreciate the time you have taken to leave these comments.

I am so pleased the group has helped you on your recovery journey, linking you to Rosewood and in understanding your husbands condition. It is an honour to be referred to as someone's "fairy godmother", thank you so much for your kind comment. I wish you and your husband a very merry Christmas and all the best for the new year.