"Getting Bells Palsy and being wonderfully looked after by East Surrey Hospital"

About: East Surrey Hospital / Neurology South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Emergency ambulance South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / NHS 111

I called 111 one evening when I lost the ability to blink or move one side of my face: it was very scary and the 111 team asked questions calmly to assess me. This lead to an ambulance being despatched and my being swept into Resus at East Surrey.

I felt as if I was truly the teams only priority and they treated me with sympathy and dignity while being wholly professional. It became clear quickly that I was not having a stroke, which was my greatest fear, but the level of care and investigation was awesome.

I was moved to a ward for 2 days while all test results came in. The staff appeared to be stretched, but kept their care levels supremely high throughout. Thank you especially to Holly & Eve on Chaldon ward.

Dear Jane McL

Thank you for your posting about your recent time in A&E and Chaldon Ward. I'm very pleased that you felt so well looked after by colleagues in both areas and it is particulrlay pleasing to see you use the word dignity.

Ian

Response from Ben Mearns, Chief of Medicine, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Jane McL

Thank you so much for taking the time to write with such lovely comments.

It sounds like you were treated on our Acute Stroke Pathway which is rather "awesome" I agree. The speed of the comprehensive assessment and investigation is rather dizzying isn't it? It is all aimed at identifying Acute Stroke patients as early as possible to ensure that we can offer clot-busting medication as soon as possible and is available at East Surrey Hospital 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I do hope that you are recovering well.

Best wishes