"Ignored by GP's"

About: Cheshire, Warrington and Wirral Leighton Hospital / General surgery

I'm hypothyroid, Its an illness that is very much misunderstood and ignored by both GP's and endo's. I have all the symptoms of thyroid cancer yet I have had to fight for a referral and have been given an ordinary waiting list slot instead of a 2 week urgent one.

I hate doctors so much now because in my opinion they ignored all my symptoms for years before I was anywhere near as bad as I am now, because I feel they think its nothing more than a deficiency that you just throw pills at. In my opinion they have no understanding that it affects your whole body, and that both the tests and treatment that are NHS approved are not even suitable for auto-immune hypothyroidism, as they prefer a one test/treatment suits all approach even when it doesn't simply because its cheap!

I can no longer eat, I cant swallow, my throat is completely numb, some days my thyroid is so tight it chokes me and I am in constant pain up one side from my clavicle to my ear. Its just not worth the effort of trying to fight with them any more, I'll just take the appointment in 3 months and hope I'm still alive by then.

Response from Leighton Hospital

Thank you for your posting. I am sorry to hear that you are so distressed by your symptoms. If you would like to discuss your concerns with the customer care team at Leighton hospital, they will do what they can to help you. The customer care team can be contacted on 01270 278098. Alternatively, you can contact the patient advise and liaison service for the services provided by your GP on 01244 385230, who will also be happy to help you. With best wishes, Jayne Hartley, Deputy Director of Nursing and Quality.