"Great medical attention - shame about parking!"

About: Wansbeck Hospital

In the early hours of the morning my 4year old was rushed to A&E in an ambulance suffering with a seizure. His dad raced from work to meet us there and parked outside the entrance, arriving at the same time as the ambulance and following us in. My distressed 4 year old understandably wanted both his mum and dad by his bedside and so we both stayed until he was moved some time later to the children's assessment ward. Once he was stable and sleeping my husband left to return home. The staff were all excellent, the service received was great and we all returned home later the same day. Now, a few days later, to my horror we have received a £70 car park fine. It may be that the car park has signs up however in an emergency situation you would not stop to consider these or prioritise parking over your child's health and welfare. I think it disgraceful that parking at the entrance, near to A&E is subject to such fines. I dread to think of those whose outcome at hospital is not as fortunate as ours eventually was receiving such a notification. Having seen similar posts from others, I think the hospital has a duty to address this matter and prevent further distress to those who have already experienced the unexpected and stressful experience of a medical emergency.

Response from Wansbeck Hospital

Dear Sarah I am really sorry to learn about your experience of the new parking system. I absolutely understand the situation that you and your husband were in with your young son being brought into A&E as an emergency. I would like to see if we can help, please contact me at Joanne.Mackintosh@northumbria-healthcare.nhs.uk Thank you so much for your very lovely comments about the care your son received from the team. I do hope that you he is feeling much better now. Best Wishes Jo

Response from Annie Laverty, Director of Patient Experience, Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust We have made a change

Dear Sarah,

Just to update you that the outcome of this. The Trust has made an important change and reached an agreement which will result in the termination of the management contract with Parking Eye on all Northumbria premises.

I hope this provides you with some assurance of our determination to listen and respond to the needs of our patients and the local people we serve.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

With all best wishes,