"Appointments for eye department and MRI."

I recently received an appointment for the eye department and needed to change it for a different date. I rang the number on the letter hour upon hour, morning and afternoon and day after day. At no time did anyone answer the telephone. I notice when attending various departments in your hospital that you are publishing how many patients are failing to attend appointments, this could easily be reduced if you made it possible to speak to the staff to change the time and date. To pay you a compliment I then received an appointment for an MRI, I rang the department with a query on several occasions and the telephone was answered promptly by a member of staff who was capable of answering my questions in a professional manner. I wonder if you check your figures if you will find that there are less non attenders in the MRI department than in the eyes department!

Response from Ashford & St Peters Hospital

Dear Anne I am sorry to hear that you experienced such difficulties trying to change your eye appointment and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with your further. It would be very useful to check which number you were given to call, so we can make sure that patients are being given correct information and that we are better manning our phones. I would be grateful if you could call me directly on 01784 884418. Many thanks for your feedback. Mandy Wilson Eye Unit Sister.