"Day patient for a Colonoscopy"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

I was seen almost on time. The nurse that came to collect used her head to direct where I should go. Some parents use this manner to communicate with children, but I find it inappropriate for an adult communicating with another adult, when the adult communicating is providing a service.

Another nurse later introduced herself to me as the one who would see me through the process. In the course of the investigation I suffered a lot of pain for a while. The nurse was trying to get me to breath deeply to help, but did not recognise when I was, or was trying to do this while in excruciating pain. She also appeared to have no empathy.

Response from Ian Mackenzie, Director of Information and Facilities, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Dear DapperDarrin,

Thank you for your comments about your recent colonoscopy. I'm sorry that we didn't communicate with you properly and also didn't empathise with the pain you were experiencing.

I will pass your comment to the Matron responsible for the colonoscopy team and I'm sure they will pick up your observations with the staff. Whilst clearly it's not good to have negative feedback, it does give us an opportunity to see where we could do better and yours is a good example of simple things that we can ensure that we get right everytime for every patient.