"Spirometry"

About: Southend Hospital

Cardiology unit Spirometry test was done in a public corridor with the public walking through the area, very embarrassing indeed! Following emergency admission, I left hospital without discharged letter or knowing what had actually happened. Told to phone two days later and request a letter even though I requested a copy be made available fro me to pick up the next day. The hospital has a duty to send such letters to the patient. i am due to see my GP in the morning but what am I supposed to tell him? No hot drink available between supper time 5 p.m. at breakfast. Admitted to the ward at around 4 p.m. not hot drink or meal available until 7.20 p.m regardless of frequent requests and promises to get a hot drink.. As soon as the doctor discharges you, they almost evict you from the ward. It is a horrible feeling and makes you feel you no longer matter. I am surprised they don't throw your belongings in a bag and throw you out of the ward … but watch this space, it is just a matter of time! One lady discharged 11 p.m. at night and had to contact a friend to come and walk home with her. She was told her bed was needed but it remained vacant, along with many others, until late the next day! E-mail addresses are recorded to keep track of how many times we raise an issue!

Response from Southend Hospital

I am truly sorry to learn of your experiences. We would be happy to look into these further for you and I ask that you e-mail our complaints team (complaints@southend.nhs.uk) with your details outlining your concerns and they will look into this for you. I would also like to reassure you that whilst the complaints team keep a record of all issues raised, this information is not shared with the clinical teams. Therefore if you do raise a concern by e-mail, it is not recorded in the way you describe. We look forward to hearing from you and hope you are making a good recovery. Steve McEwen, Patient Experience Lead

Response from Steve McEwen, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Liaison, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

We look forward to hearing from you and hope you are making a good recovery.