"My mother's hospital stay"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

My mother was admitted following complications which arose after heart surgery in London. Although I was ill at the time and unable to visit, my mother has told me how well she was looked after and how caring and friendly the staff were. Levels of cleanliness also appeared high. However, on a personal note, I was unhappy with the arrangements for my mother's discharge. I was informed by telephone that my mother would be returning home with a care package. As my mother was told that the only care available would be assistance for her to get up in the mornings and go to bed in the evenings, which she felt able to do, she declined the package, understandably. Although staff were aware that I was very ill myself, they sent my mother home with only me to care for her including shopping, cooking meals, helping with bathing, and making sure she was okay. This caused me undue stress, and exposed my mother to the germs I was harbouring. I do understand that nothing can be perfect, and I am most appreciative of the care my mother received during her stay. However, I would like to say, have a thought for the carers back at home.

Thank you for providing feedback about your mother's care, I am glad to hear that you were happy with the care we provided. I am sorry about your concerns regarding the discharge arrangements, this must have been difficult for given your own health.

Please do email me and I can feedback to staff for future learning. My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net