"I spent a long time on the Haemotology ..."

About: Royal Oldham Hospital

I spent a long time on the Haemotology ward (T6), and I found it quite excellent. Staff were motivated, highly skilled, compassionate, forth coming with information and generally well managed. Even the cleaning staff (Sylvia) had a greater expectation of what a high standard of cleanliness is required and maintained this throughout my stay.

I also spent a period of time on a surgical ward after my operation. This ward was quite the opposite of the details mentioned above. Some staff were passed their sell-by-date and the overall cleaniness of the ward was poor. I had to clean a shower room before use, as the plastic chair which the last patient has used was soiled with excrement, as was the shower basin. This may be acceptable in the 3rd world country, is this a standard acceptable in the current NHS? I think not perhaps!

Response from Royal Oldham Hospital

Thank you for leaving both comments on your experiences at Oldham. We're sorry to hear that the surgical ward did not meet your expectations, and would like to look in to this further. Could you please let us have details of which ward this was, via our PALS team at enquiries@pat.nhs.uk