"Hip replacement for mum with dementia"

About: Royal Preston Hospital

I was very pleased with my mum's care. The nurses were second to none. Their care and compassion was super even though they were clearly very busy. The consultant who did the replacement hip was outstanding! He spent some time talking and listening to me about mum and decided to go ahead with a slightly more complicated procedure. She was transferred to Chorley and there he spent an extra 2 hours after the operation making sure her recovery was more stable as she wasn't particularly well. The ward (ward 14) had a 'forget me not' document which gave new members of staff on the ward a chance to read up quickly about mum and her needs and a little about her background as her dementia makes it difficult for her to communicate. They had to feed and cleaned her and she was always well cared for. My thanks and appreciation go to the hard working team who managed to keep what dignity she has left in tact. Thank you!

Response from Royal Preston Hospital

Thanks for your comments. Hearing about positive experiences really motivates our staff, and helps us identify where we’re getting things right so we can share good practice across all of our services.