"Appalling service for routine blood tests..."

About: Guy's Hospital

I went for a blood test last Friday prescribed by my GP. The nurse was very heavy handed. Half an hour later the forearm was very swollen, there was a lump the size of a tennis ball beneath where the blood test was done, and i had a lot of tingling and reduced sensibility in my hand. i had to go back to my GP to get it checked and she said there had been an internal blood spillage into the muscles due to a badly done blood test. As a result, three days later, I have a massive bruise that goes from the inside of my elbow to my wrist. the forearm is still very painful and I can't use the arm properly as a consequence. it is absolutely appalling that this should happen as a result of a routine blood test. any individual with a normal level of care and attention would have done a better job than the nurse that gave me the blood test. i do blood tests regularly and this has never happened to me before. i strongly recommend not going to Guys' for a blood test.

Response from Guy's Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience of having a blood test at Guy's Hospital. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@gstt.nhs.uk or by calling 020 7188 8801 so that we can investigate this matter further.