"Disgraceful communication & lack of respect."

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital / General surgery

A relative of mine passed away in Harlow in 2011, post mortem found the cause of death conflicted with the diagnosis and care my relative received.

My family has been left trying to get answers to what are very important questions we have regarding his care whilst in Harlow Hospital. Attempts to call hospital personnel and arrange a meeting with the consultant who treated him are ignored.

My family are unable to move forward from their grief until we have our questions answered, only then will we be able to make sense of our relatives death following what should have been a routine operation. Harlow Hospital are showing a complete lack of respect by trying to ignore our attempts of communicating with them. Would never go back there, as while I have been a patient in A&E my own level of care was sub standard. It appears the norm for nursing is to show lack of concern, care and compassion for their patients, delay giving pain relief and to never introduce themselves to their patient.

I appreciate staff and funding for hospitals are spread thinly but the attitudes of staff can either give a positive or negative experience for the patient, unfortunately in my experience as a patient and as a relative it has always been negative.

Response from Princess Alexandra Hospital

I am sorry to hear about your experience in 2011 and can't imagine how difficult this must be for you, as well as your unanswered concerns about your most recent experience in Emergency Department. We strive to do our best for every single patient, their families and their carers, every single day and although our A&E is the busiest it has ever been we maintain a strong focus on patient experience and high quality clinical care, clearly we have not done that for you and for that I am sincerely sorry. Although these kinds of processes can take some time and meetings with consultants need to be scheduled significantly in advance, with possible interruptions due to emergency care, it is unacceptable for you to have waited this long. For this reason I have escalated your concerns to the Medical Director and Director of Nursing and would be keen to speak to you today if possible. The direct line number to call is either 01279 827084 or 01279 827211 and we will do anything we can to speed up resolution or assist. Please do mention that you raised this on Patient Opinion and were asked to call in.

Response from Shahid Sardar, Head of Patient Engagement, Patient Safety and Quality, The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust We are preparing to make a change

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 20 November 2013

Response from Shahid Sardar, Head of Patient Engagement, Patient Safety and Quality, The Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust We have made a change

Members of the Board now meet every single complainant who requests this, specifically as a result of this kind of concern. No-one should be left without a face to face explanation from a senior member of staff when they raise a concern.