"Great staff with excellent understanding of..."

About: Pilgrim Hospital

My father who has advanced dementia visited the Royle Eye Department for day surgery. My mother and I were with him and were naturally concerned about how he would be looked after throughout his stay. The consultant was brilliant - he spoke clearly to my father, looked directly at him but made sure we were all aware of what was going to happen. He listened carefully to the potential difficulties my mother might have after the surgery and adjusted his care accordingly. When it came to signing the consent he was happy to let my father sign the form whilst ensuring the correct power of attorney was also signed. Both the Consultant and the nursing staff could see how anxious we were, encouraged us to go and get a coffee whilst they took care of my father and came to the coffee shop to let us know that everything was OK. They made sure my father was never left alone and made what could have been a distressing experience very comfortable. Thank you.

Response from Pilgrim Hospital

Your posting was lovely to read; thank you very much for telling us. The team at the Royle Eye Department clearly did an excellent job and I know they will be just as pleased to read your feedback. Coming into hospital for any procedure is daunting enough; coupled with dementia it can become an extremely frightening experience both for patients and their carers and it was good to hear how the team considered every aspect of care needs from both your father's perspective but also yours as a family. I hope your father is recovering well; thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.