"ENt"

About: Royal Berkshire Hospital

I was admitted to ENT with a serious respiratory infection. From the time I arrived at casualty to the time I was discharged I was treated exceptionally well and my medical treatment was spot on and thanks to the care I received I am now well again. Even the food was ok! My only disappointment was when I was discharged from my ward and send down to the discharge lounge to get my prescription to continue with antibiotics. After being discharged I was still feeling very weak but had to wait nearly 2 hours for a simple prescription to be dispensed. I think this is unacceptable and by the time I left the discharge lounge I felt much worse than when I left the ward - all I wanted to do was to get home to bed. My impression is that my wait was not unusual and so I think this is an area that needs some improvement.

Response from Royal Berkshire Hospital

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently implementing new ways of working by identifying a day in advance the preparation of medications that patient need to take home, with the aim of having them ready and available in a timely fashion once the patient is ready for discharge. We are sorry that you experienced such a long delay; however, thank you for your positive comments on all other elements of the care that we provided.