"Never give up if this is what you want"

About: Telford referral and quality service (TRAQS) The Princess Royal Hospital / Gastroenterology

Back in 2009 I asked my GP to refer me for the gastric bypass which I was turned down for because I could not get the funding.

I went to all of my appointments at Walsall Manor Hospital and the Princess Royal Hospital, but I was disappointed when I could not go ahead with it due to funding. But I did not give up. So now, in October 2012, I got my GP to refer me again. And now I have just heard from the funding and my Doctor from the PRH which I have just attended and they have given me the go ahead to have the key hole operation (I feel great). I will have my operation in February 2014.

I would just like to thank everybody for everything and their patience. I would just like to say to everybody - never give up if this is what you want.

Response from The Princess Royal Hospital

Dear "Banjo637" Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback about your care, and the journey from initial referral to approval for your treatment. As you will probably be aware from your journey over the last four years, decisions about funding for gastric bypass are made by local GPs rather than by the hospital itself, and it sounds as though you are really pleased to have a decision from them to go ahead with the operation at our hospital. We very much hope that everything goes according to plan for your treatment in February 2014.

Response from Cathie McKenzie, Patient Advisor, TRAQS, NHS Telford and Wrekin CCG

Thank you for taking the time to write to TRAQS.

I am pleased to note that your patience has been rewarded and send my best wishes for your forthcoming operation.