"A visit to A&E"

About: Southend Hospital / Accident and emergency

After experiencing chest pains for some hours I gave in and went into A&E at Southend Hospital, being 22 and generally healthy I didn't want to be wasting anybody's time.

I sat down and patiently waited but didn't have to wait long at all even on a Saturday night.

The nurse I saw took my blood pressure, blood sugar etc and asked me about my symptoms I was quickly put through to have an ECG where I was then put through to the major department where I was wired up again.

Although I was shocked and nervous about what was happening I was extremely grateful to the staff who we're taking my pain seriously and putting me at ease. My problem was quickly diagnosed as a Pneumothorax with a chest X-ray and the problem resolved with the aid of some amazing people who really helped me throughout the scary time.

I was admitted to an observation ward overnight and moved onto another ward the next day where I was then allowed home.

I couldn't have asked for anything more from all the doctors, nurses, porters that I came into contact with on that day and couldn't praise them any higher.

In my book they are all amazing. And would love to say thank you! ! !

Response from Southend Hospital

Many thanks for your feedback. I was really pleased to learn of your positive experience. I will pass your comments on to the staff and I hope you have made a good recovery from your Pneumothorax. Steve McEwen Patient Experience Lead

Response from Steve McEwen, Patient Experience Lead, Patient Liaison, Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Many thanks for your feedback. I was really pleased to learn of your experience. I will feed your comments back to the staff and hope you have made a good recovery from your pneumothorax.