"morning of surgery"

About: Northern General Hospital

I had my Gallbladder taken out on Friday 11th October and all was ok until about 5 minutes before I was due to go down to theatre when a doctor came to tell me the risk which I know he would have to tell me but instead leaving it there he actually said to me that I could die after the operation, this is something you don't want to here just as you are going to theatre he could have been a bit more tactful and should have known better.

Response from Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for giving us feedback on your recent surgery at Northern General Hospital.

To consent to any treatment or procedure, a patient needs to be fully informed about the treatment and understand why it is considered necessary. Healthcare professionals must not withhold information just because it may upset or unnerve a patient. Even if the person specifically requests not to be told about the extent or likely outcome of their condition, the healthcare professional has a moral and legal responsibility to provide them with full information about what the treatment involves, including the benefits and risks, whether there are reasonable alternative treatments, and what will happen if treatment does not go ahead.

I am sorry if this was not adequately explained to you.