"Disposal of personal belongings"

About: University Hospital Aintree

Would like to know if it is hospital policy to dispose of a bereaved persons personal belongings if not collected after one week.Told this was the case by a sister on Ward 20 when I tried to retrieve my deceased mothers belongings .Told by said sister that she would speak to all staff and try to ascertain what had happened to said personal effects and that she would ring me back on 27/10/13. She did not.After repeated follow up calls to Ward 20 to speak to this sister she rang and left an answer message on 31/10 /13 to say she would ring me back.Still waiting . Beware if you want to retain deceased belongings act swiftly before it is too late !!!!! Request customer care team contact me.

Response from University Hospital Aintree

Dear Colette, Apologies for the delay in responding to your NHS Choices comment. We are experiencing technical problems which mean that not every comment is flagged up to our team immediately. As a result, we only became aware of your comment on 14/11/13. We have contacted Customer Services and understand you've already been in touch with them regarding this matter since posting your message. We will leave them to liaise with you directly in future. Thank you.