"Paediatric Assessment Unit and Childrens Ward"

About: New Cross Hospital

Following a GP referral we arrived at the PAU last Wednesday afternoon. Following initial tests we were warned by the consultant that there was a possibility that our six year old had cancer. Returning to the unit the next day, she underwent more tests throughout the course of the day. Following the devastating diagnosis of a Wilms tumour the dept arranged for a taxi to send us to Birmingham Childrens Hospital. The whole process was devastating to us as a family. The PAU and childrens ward staff were outstanding. We were treated with utmost respect and our daughter treated like a princess so much so she was upset when she had to go home! The wonderful staff led by the most caring consultant were intuitive and kind anticipating our every need. Nothing was too much trouble and the lighthearted and warm approach of the nurses enabled my husband and myself come to terms with our precious childs condition.We were never made to feel a burden and regular visits from doctors and nurses ensured that we were kept informed every step of the way. The humanity shown to us as a family has restored in me a faith in human nature. Our life changing experience was eased due to the professionalism and kindness of the staff. The rest of the care that we will receive over the coming months will have to be exceptional to beat the care we have received at New Cross. Many, many thanks and good wishes.

Response from New Cross Hospital

Thank you so much for your kind comments relating to the experience your family received whilst in our Paediatric department. I will share your comments with the staff on PAU and the Ward. I wish your daughter well for the future! Kindest regards Jamie Emery Patient Experience Lead

Response from Jamie Emery, Patient Experience Lead, The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you very much for sharing with us your comments regarding the experience your family received in PAU and the ward. I will forward your comments to the staff in this department.

I wish your daughter well for the future!

Kindest regards