"Trip to A&E"

About: Maidstone District General Hospital

I arrived at about 3am with agonising pains in my side and sickness. I was quickly booked in and had bloods taken and cannulas fitted and was told there was a waiting time of 3 and a half hours during which time I saw no one. When I was seen I was given a painkiller and told thy were waiting for blood results and if ok I could go home. The pain killer did no good at all and when bloods came back was told I would be having a ct scan and then given some intravenous paracetamol.. After the scan I was left waiting again for the results. I must stress that I didn't mind waiting and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. At about 1pm a doctor came and explained that the scan had revealed a mass in my stomach which would need investigating and I would receive a gynaecological appointment within 2 weeks. As I never received this appointment I rang my health centre who made some enquiries only to find out that I had not been referred from A&E. My GP set the wheels in motion and I received an appointment in 2 days. It has been a worrying time not knowing what my problem is and would like to know how I slipped through the net.

Response from Maidstone District General Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments about our services. We would be very happy to initiate enquires around the delays you experienced following your A&E attendance. To do this, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01622 224960 or 01892 632953 or email mtwpals@nhs.net to provide your name, date of birth (or hospital number) and contact details. We look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, The PALS Team. (AS)